An Interview with Kevin Hudson

Kevin Hudson is the associate director for institutional diversity and college opportunity at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey; and chair of the 2024 A Dream Deferred TM: The Future of African American Education Conference National Advisory Committee. 

In this exclusive Q&A session, we delve into Kevin’s remarkable story of resilience and dedication to education. We’ll focus on his work advocating for traditionally underrepresented students and promoting their diverse pathways to success. He’ll shed light on his personal motivations, professional endeavors, and aspirations for the A Dream Deferred conference.   

Q: Can you share your journey and key contributions to education? What got you to where you are today? 

I am originally from East Orange, New Jersey. My journey began with a challenging personal circumstance: my mother passed away from cancer when I was just 13 years old. Despite this hardship, I was fortunate to attend Delbarton School in Morristown, New Jersey, where I was one of only two African Americans and the sole Black student in my graduating class of 100. This unique experience fostered in me a vision of education as a pathway to success. 

My academic journey continued at Princeton University, where I encountered inequities but also found opportunities. Working in the admissions office as an undergraduate, I realized the potential to create pathways for students who might not see selective colleges as attainable. This insight led me to focus on college access and advising, particularly for students from lower-income and marginalized communities. My subsequent roles in college access organizations and my graduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania, working with notable researchers like Laura Perna, further shaped my career. I ended up working with D.C. public schools managing college advising, which highlighted the need for robust support systems for both students and education professionals. 

Q: Can you share some of the initiatives you have spearheaded at Princeton University to promote equity and diversity in higher education? 

At Princeton, I have led several initiatives aimed at promoting equity and diversity. One notable program is the partnership with the Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America, which provides students from diverse backgrounds with enrichment activities and college match guidance during their senior year. Another key initiative is Matriculate, a program that connects Princeton undergraduates with lower-income high school students across the country to offer guidance on pathways to selective colleges. This initiative, supported by the Bloomberg Foundation and the Aspen Institute, reflects my commitment to expanding access. 

I also take pride in leading the Center for Outreach and Education (COE), which supports TRIO programs and provides crucial resources to professionals who work with marginalized students. The COE aims to build networks of colleges and universities and ensure that TRIO professionals have the information and support they need to prosper. 

Q: What are you currently working on? 

I am currently collaborating with the COE on various projects and am excited about upcoming partnerships with school districts in the area. These collaborations will involve yearlong workshops designed to support pathways to high graduation rates and low student debt. I look forward to seeing the long-term impact of these initiatives on students' educational journeys. 

Q: How do you ensure that underrepresented students have equal access to resources and opportunities at Princeton? 

Ensuring equitable access at Princeton involves leveraging strong partnerships with organizations, such as the Emma Bloomberg Center for Access and Opportunity, the Office of the Dean of the College, and the Office of Undergraduate Affairs. DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) is a collective responsibility, with targeted support provided to students from various communities, including marginalized students of color, veterans, students with disabilities, LGBTQ+ students, and those from lower-income backgrounds. 

Q: What inspired you to pursue a career dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion in academia? 

My inspiration stems from witnessing firsthand the inequities in elite academic spaces. I recognize the value of diverse perspectives and the need to include bright minds from various backgrounds to enrich the educational community. My work in DEI is driven by the belief that engaging with diverse individuals is crucial in a global economy and helps bridge gaps in access and opportunity. 

Q: What resources or support systems have you found most effective in achieving your goals of expanding access to higher education? 

Leadership and financial commitment are pivotal in achieving DEI goals. Effective systemic change requires both a strong leadership vision and the financial backing to support staff who can implement and sustain policies that impact students long-term. Leadership and systemic changes are essential for creating a positive environment for student success. 

Q: Is there a particular issue within education that you feel deserves more attention or discussion? 

I believe that professional development around college pathways and postsecondary options deserves more focus. I advocate for nuanced and informed advising. It is important that we build a supportive community of influencers who can guide students through various educational pathways without undue pressure on school advisers. 

Q: As chair of the 2024 National Advisory Committee, what is your hope for the 2025 A Dream Deferred Conference and beyond? 

I hope that the A Dream Deferred Conference will foster a strong, inspiring community that participants can engage with both formally and informally. I encourage attendees to network extensively and leave the conference with new skills and connections that will contribute to better outcomes for African American students, and all students for that matter. 

Q: With all that you do, what drives your commitment to this conference? 

My commitment to the conference is driven by my admiration for the work of past chairs and my desire to contribute to the critical discussions around supporting Latino, Native, and African American students. I see the conference as a space for revitalization and energizing conversations, and I am honored to play a role in it. 

Q: If you were speaking to someone considering attending the A Dream Deferred conference for the first time, what would you tell them? 

I advise newcomers to the conference to approach it with openness and a willingness to connect with others. I suggest meeting at least five new people both personally and professionally, to enhance the conference experience and foster valuable relationships. 

Q: On a lighter note, could you share a hobby or interest outside of your professional life that brings you joy or relaxation? 

Outside of my professional life, I find immense joy in spending time with my almost 1-year-old daughter. Her unbridled curiosity and happiness inspire me and motivate my work, particularly in envisioning a better future for her as a Black girl and woman. Her presence is a source of both joy and profound inspiration in my life.

Categories