Interview with Anthony Jones: Shaping the Future of Education

Anthony “AJ” Jones is vice president of Enrollment Management & The Student Experience at Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Fla.; chair of the 2024 HBCU Conference National Advisory Committee; and a College Board Trustee. 

In this exclusive Q&A session, we delve into the remarkable journey and visionary initiatives of this transformative figure in the education space. We’ll focus on his work advocating for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). He’ll shed light on his personal motivations, professional endeavors, and aspirations for the future of education.  

Q: Can you share your journey and key contributions to education? What got you to where you are today? 

A: My journey began as a first-generation college student. I was deeply influenced by my family's emphasis on education. My parents were entrepreneurs and worked hard to create a business that allowed my family to thrive. Seven of my family members attended a HBCU, which inspired me to do the same. Attending Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn., sparked my passion for higher education. It led me to a career centered on opening doors for others, especially students of color. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Fisk, I attended graduate school at Vanderbilt University. I started my career as a recruiter and couldn’t believe I was getting paid to talk about an institution that I loved and admired. A large part of what I do today─creating access to higher education for students of color─stems from the experience I had during my four years at Fisk.  

Q: Why HBCUs? 

A: My HBCU experience was an intense indoctrination of self-pride and dignity. I constantly encountered images of Black success, and that was extremely validating. Attending an HBCU gave me a sense of confidence that allowed me to strive toward larger goals. It has allowed me to see that feeling replicated by so many students who walk through HBCU doors. HBCUs are about cultivating world citizens who bring their best selves to the table and drive innovation and progress. That spirit has taken me to where I am today, and I’m committed to creating opportunities for students of color. It helps center me, and that centeredness enables me to do whatever I can to get things done better and faster. 

Q: As the vice president of Enrollment Management & the Student Experience at Bethune-Cookman University, what initiatives have you undertaken to expand access for students? 

A: We use data-driven strategies to target students who align with our ethos. This way we ensure a fit that fosters retention and success. Fit is critical to the college-going process. Students find they’ve made the wrong choice and don’t stay and graduate, which complicates their future. I lead teams that take the time to understand our best student profile and to go after that student. Access is a moral responsibility. It guides our approach to recruitment and support. We must be data-informed and driven to assure student access. 

Q: What are you currently working on? 

A: I’m collaborating with the Bethune-Cookman School of Education to address the underrepresentation of Black males in higher education. I was concerned about the percentage of Black males graduating high school and going to college. When I started researching this discrepancy, I found a correlation between Black male teachers in the K−12 system and the influence that Black males have on young Black men pursuing education. If we can target that issue, we can have a direct effect on Black males who choose to go to college. The School of Education dean and I are working to create a strategy we hope to implement county-by-county that aims to cultivate future educators and empower Black youth to pursue college. 

Q: What are your dream accomplishments in your role? 

A: As an educator, I’ve always been proud of students I’ve worked with who have gone on and acquired the experiences and skills they need to live a satisfied life. It’s not always due to getting a degree. It’s also because of all they were able to experience that helps them become the person they were destined to be. I’m grateful to social media for letting me keep up with my students, and they to keep up with me. My proudest moments come from seeing students become advocates for education. Articulating the relevance of HBCUs in the broader conversation of higher education is crucial for our continued impact. To understand the history, ethos, and impact of our schools and the work that keeps HBCUs in the forefront of the conversation is meaningful to me. 

Q: What drives your passion for the work that you do? 

A: The current focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion aligns with my lifelong commitment to fostering change. I think about the era we live in and the fact that we live in the day where the importance and value of diversity has never been more intense regardless of where you are, in what area of society you find yourself, or whether you’re in the United States or outside it. I served as director of global diversity for a major corporation that allowed me to deal with this issue on many fronts. HBCUs are in the middle of that conversation. It inspires me to think about the impact of HBCUs and people of color on society and how we’re helping to shape the future of what the world looks like. Feeling equipped to do this work motivates me every day. 

Q: Are there resources or strategies you recommend for individuals interested in supporting or learning more about HBCUs? 

A: Grounding oneself in data on HBCU efficiency and impact is essential. Organizations like UNCF (United Negro College Fund) and the Thurgood Marshall College Fund provide valuable insights into the relevance and importance of HBCUs. One example is the landmark study done by UNCF, “HBCUs make America strong.” This was commissioned by the Frederick D. Patterson Research Institute, an arm of the UNCF. It showcases the economic benefits of HBCUs on students and the larger community. This brings us back to relevance. As we see the relevance of higher education being debated, those who are on the side of HBCUs need to be equipped to talk about the relevance of these schools. People are having to bring their bona fide research to the table more often, including research on HBCUs. We need to understand who we are, why we need to be here, and why we need to thrive. 

Q: As chair of the National Advisory Committee, what’s your hope for the 2024 HBCU Conference? 

A: My hope is that the conference equips attendees with actionable insights to support HBCUs amid challenges to the validity of higher education. It's crucial for advocates to understand and champion the value of these institutions. Recently, I presented 2023 data from the Youth Truth Student Survey that indicated the percentage of Black students in the study who aspired to attend college had fallen from 79% in 2019 to 74% by 2023. When you think about where education has always been in the minds of Black people, that’s an important decline, even though it’s only 5 percentage points. It should be steady or growing. The choice to go to college is a communal choice for Black people. They hear it at church, the barbershop, and at home. This decline speaks to a larger issue happening in the Black community around higher education. This conference arms us with the information we need to be the advocates that HBCUs need in this critical time. 

Q: With all that you do, what drives your commitment to this conference? 

A: College Board’s unique ability to convene diverse perspectives and address critical issues in education is unparalleled. It’s generous and important for College Board to use its resources to shine a light on HBCUs. As chair of the national advisory committee for the HBCU conference, I’m delighted to help steward that investment. It's an opportunity to lead this conference and at the same time advocate for HBCUs in a changing landscape. 

Q: If you were speaking to someone considering attending the HBCU conference for the first time, what would you tell them? 

A: The conference offers curated knowledge, practical tools, and invaluable networking opportunities in a supportive environment. It's a chance to gain insights and connect with like-minded colleagues. There’s also the fun we have and the ability to unwind. Everyone’s there to feel those same jolts of encouragement. None of the opportunities that exist throughout your year make that happen under one roof the way that this conference does. 

Q: Can you share a fun or personal aspect of your life that has influenced your approach to education? 

One of the most meaningful influences from my HBCU experience is my first boss, the admissions director who hired me. They called him the Dean of Black Enrollment. He was an incredible dresser. His mantra, "a man's dress should always be as impeccable as his mind," inspires me to this day. I find myself each day trying to imitate this man by the way I dress myself. I’ve realized the impact it has on young people ... to have the experience of seeing the consideration someone takes to think well of themselves. Having others see me as a role model is an honor.

Tagged:

Categories